Linux setup pending problems:
- No CPU/system temperature from ACPI. (Ironically, hard drive temp is available but not in Windows.)
- Ubuntu 7.10 installer is not compatible with KVM (Kernel Virtualization). It segfaults due to the fancy splash screen. Intel VT does not support x86 real mode instructions, but AMD virtualization does.
- KVM in QEMU emulator mode crashes halfway in installing Ubuntu 7.10. And, it’s super slow and eats up 100% of one core.
Trying the following:
- Tried OpenSolaris Indiana preview – also crashes and needs QEMU. X does not start.
- Copying a preinstalled Ubuntu vmdk.
- Downloading Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04, which is said to have a workaround for the splash problem.