I have been interested in writing about Philippine Internet History from my personal perspective. I thought about writing what happened ten years ago.
I may have written things down in a paper journal – but even if I did, it’s lost by now. If only I thought about blogging back then. I think I had started a personal home page by 1997, but it was just work matters.
Things I remember:
- PLDT’s Philippine Internet Exchange went up
- IPhil Communications transferred offices from Penthouse V.A. Rufino Building to 116 Herrera St.
- We put up a new international link to MCI. (512 Kbps if I recall correctly.)
- We kept our original office location as a training room, so I think we started Linux training then.
- We thought of putting up the PHNIC as a confederation member of APNIC. This didn’t happen, and I think APNIC removed the confederation membership type. Archived Notes.
- We attended APRICOT ’97 in Hong Kong. This was my first trip outside the country. I have the printed photos of this somewhere – I should scan them.
- We attended INET ’97 in Kuala Lumpur. I presented my paper on developing commercial Internet in the Philippines. Note the Growing the Philippine network section – the lack of local interconnection today is still a problem, as the Taiwan earthquake showed. We visited Singapore on the way home.
I need to be proactive: make sure that in 2017, I know what happened in 2007.